Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Marion County Illinois

I recently attended a meeting at the Marion County Courthouse in Salem, Illinois. I enjoy visiting courthouses in other counties. I hated history in school, but have found most of my vacations now revolve around some kind of history and have developed an appreciation for most things ancient.

The Marion County Courthouse was built in 1910. Marion County was organized in 1823 from portions of Jefferson and Fayette Counties. It was named in honor of South Carolina's Revolutionary War Gen. Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox".

Most of you may not realize The Swamp Fox was a TV series back in 1959. It was a Walt Disney Production and starred Leslie Nielson. I was but a mere child, but I remember the series. The series was set during the American Revolutionary War about a band of guerrilla soldiers who each week battle against the English conventional forces.

It was freezing cold with a nasty north wind, so I didn't feel inclined to take pictures outside. Below are pics from the inside.

 According to the sign, this canon was used during the Civil War in Shiloh, Tennessee on April 7, 1862.
 Domed stained glass window in the ceiling.
Looking up from the lobby. I wish I had taken more time to go upstairs. I could have gotten a better shot of Lady Liberty.

Off to brave the elements. It's yet another work day. Enjoy your day!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

gorgeous stain glass. i love the colors. we had 4 degrees this AM. now in the 20's. stay warm. ( :

TexWisGirl said...

dang, that dome glass is beautiful.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a neat courthouse!

Molly the Airedale said...

The stained glass is fabulous!

EG CameraGirl said...

I really like the stained glass dome!