Monday, January 19, 2015

Rubbish Tuesday #35

The Will Rogers Theater in Charleston, Illinois.
I have fond memories of this theater. I saw such movies as Goldfinger, The Sound of Music, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Barefoot in the Park there. One time, we got two free tickets inside a box of Quaker Oatmeal (doubt you will ever see such a thing as that again) to see A Summer Place with—OH MY—Troy Donahue! 
The love of my life! 

Since two of the tickets were free, my father decided to take us all to see the movie. Of course, he had no idea what it was about. Now this was a rather risqué movie 'back in the day' and when I saw the direction it was taking, I expected my father to get up and leave, but he let us stay and watch the whole movie. Shock!

Now, as you can see, this old theater is closed up and boarded up. I didn't know what hereandagain.com on the marquee meant, so when I got home I checked it out. Seems, if enough money can be raised, the old boy is about to get a facelift.  

The art deco style theater originally opened in 1938 and was once considered what a modern theater should be. The theater was closed by AMC in 2010. It has been added to  the list of 10 most endangered structures in Illinois. It was purchased in 2011, but the restoration project seems to have stalled due to funding issues. The website is asking for donations to help with over $15,000 for electrical work. 

I sure hope they raise the money. I would love to see this theater back in business. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will join in the fun.

My idea was to have a place to post 'old things'. Anything old
and/or deteriorating such as, but not limited to, old houses, barns, outbuildings, old cars, rusty things, antiques, interesting junk, or it can be something in pristine condition, but just old. 

 
1. Link to a post featuring photos of something old.
2. Link back to Rubbish by Roan in your post.
3. As time allows, visit other participants and comment on their posts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


27 comments:

Tom said...

What a great and colorful theater. Oh yes, the funding issue! Tom The Backroads Traveller

TexWisGirl said...

neat old theater. glad your father let you stay. :)

Brian King said...

We have a theater similar to this, too, in downtown. Not many like this left.

Suburban Girl said...

Oh, we have an old theater like that in our town too. I'll have to share that sometime. Funny story about your dad and the movie.

Linda Kay said...

Roan....Troy Donahue, be still my heart! What a fun time to think back to, the old movie houses. The one here in Fredericksburg looks like an old theater on the front, but it's a retail clothing store inside.

EG CameraGirl said...

That sounds like a lot of money needed to do some rewiring but hey! What do I know?

I remember Troy Donahue! ;))

Rose said...

I meant to try to get a post together to join this meme...I just checked and realized it stays open till Wednesday. So, if nothing happens will try to join you on one of my blogs with something.

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have a theater downtown just like this! an organization has been raising money for years to renovate it and make it a playhouse. And now they are starting work on it. I hope yours is saved and turns into a beauty!

A Colorful World said...

What lovely memories you have, Roan of this beautiful old theatre. I enjoyed this post very much! There are such theatres in so many cities that have thankfully been restored. There's one here that I hope something will be done with, and I should go take photos! :-) Still, to have attended the theatre you show makes it even more special. How neat of your Dad to let you stay at the movie. I bet he squirmed in his seat a little. :-)

Diana said...

Oh, I hope they get the funding, Roan--I love old theaters. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier, and thanks also for hosting this party :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love the story about the movies. And I agree - we don't get that kind of promotions in products any more - too bad. I hope they get their money for the restoration, it is a grand looking building.

Amy Burzese said...

Wonderful memories. I remember going to the old theater as a kid. Theaters are one of the many things I collect. In photos, I mean.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to reviving the old theatre!

Oh, Troy Donahue - I have two memories about him. When I was a young girl, I had a purse that had a picture of him on it. :) Years later, as an adult, I worked at an airline and had the privilege to check him in for his flight. He even autographed a ticket jacket for me. Yes, I still have it! :)

Lindy

Bethany Carson said...

Sounds like a place with many memories for you. The Sound of Music is one of my all-time favorites.

LV said...

Like walking down memory lane. I am not familiar with the theater, but remember Troy Donahue.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful art deco building!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Sure hope they keep this landmark.

betty-NZ said...

They sure don't make 'em like they used to--theaters or movies! I do hope they get the support to restore the grand lady.

doodles n daydreams said...

Troy Donahue, sigh...
here's hoping the old place can be restored.

Diana

Mascha said...

What a famous building with memories (and listen in my mind just any movie melodies)... Hope with you, they get the money for restoration.

Tanya Breese said...

oh it's beautiful and i loved reading your memories of it...wonder why amc closed it? we have a little old theater and i love going there for movies..the sound and pictures may not be as great as the big guys but the ambience can't be beat! i sure hope they are able to raise the money for it!

Tanya Breese said...

oh it's beautiful and i loved reading your memories of it...wonder why amc closed it? we have a little old theater and i love going there for movies..the sound and pictures may not be as great as the big guys but the ambience can't be beat! i sure hope they are able to raise the money for it!

Tanya Breese said...

p.s. i almost posted an old theater too, i saw one in pearisburg but went with the old houses this week!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

These old theaters are so neat. We have one in our town also- same deal..trying to bring it back, but need funds.

Lois said...

I hope they raise the money too! This theatre reminds me of one from my childhood that is sadly no longer there.

Gail Dixon said...

What great memories! I remember my mother refusing to let me watch The Graduate when it came on TV. Boy, have times changed!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It would be great if it could be renovated, and not torn down. I've seen a few places where they turned them into a theater... For stage plays, like for a community theater.

Hope it stays looking the same outside ... So many memories!

Thank u for hosting. It's a fun meme!