Sunday, June 22, 2014

Writing Blog Hop

A writer friend of mine, Nancy Kopp, has tagged me in a Blog Hop,  #MyWriting Process. The object is to answer 4 questions, tag others to do the same, and link this post back to Nancy at her blog, Writer Granny’s World. Nancy asked my permission to tag me prior to posting, and I agreed. However, I didn't realize it would be so difficult to find writers who are not already involved in the hop. 

One of my first choices was a new acquaintance via blogland, but she wasn't able to take the time. Another choice was the author of The Pecan Man, Cassie Dandridge Selleck. She was already working on a post for the blog hop. The rest of the writers I know were either already involved or just didn't have the time. So I will post without tagging. However, if anyone wants to play along, please do so and link back to this post.

Questions and Answers

1. What are you working on?
I recently finished choosing and editing thirty fictional short stories for a compilation book tentatively titled, Stranger on the Shore. For the past couple of years I have been writing a memoir in the form of short stories. To date the count is up to eighty-two stories and one poem. I am currently writing a memoir piece about my maternal grandmother. I am also continuing to write what I hope to become a series of tween books titled The Dirt Foot Gang. The title and first story were inspired by one of my husband's many childhood adventures. I also have two complete, full length novels. When I say complete, I mean the first draft is done. Both remain in the editing stages.  

2. How does your work differ from others of its genre?
I really enjoy writing romantic suspense. I get lost in the storyline and time vanishes. I often have to set an alarm clock so I will remember to go to work on time. I think my work may differ from others in that I don't always stick to the black and white of the genre. Sometimes other genres bleed over into the romantic suspense. I try to stick to the perceived guidelines, but if the story decides to cross the line, who am I to stop it? After all, the main reason I write is for my writing enjoyment.

3.  Why do you write what you do?
I have been writing a lot of creative non-fiction and memoir pieces recently. I started writing memoir pieces and sharing on a website called Our Echo. It was then I decided to preserve what history I remember about my family and my childhood for the generations to come. I would like to introduce my grandchildren to my mother through these stories. As far as romantic suspense, it's the genre I most enjoy reading. I write what I enjoy.

4.  How does your writing process work? 
It starts with an idea. For instance, one of my novels is titled Blackthorn Cove.  I was in the Starbuck's drive-thru lane, waiting for my Grande Cappuccino, when I saw an apartment complex called—Blackthorn Cove. The name seemed to be calling out to me as if it were important in some manner. I dug in my purse and tore a deposit slip from my checkbook and wrote down the name. Weeks later, after I discovered the piece of paper at the bottom of my purse, I sat down in front of the computer and typed out Blackthorn Cove. The name turned into a street where an older lady lived. The woman's estranged daughter was brutally murdered, leaving her son alone. The boy, the woman's grandson she had never met, moved to the house on Blackthorn Cove. Each day I sat down in front of the computer and waited to see where the story would go next. It was like my brain was reading a book while my fingers typed the words. This is the way every fictional story I write is born. I have tried outlining, but I find guidelines stop the creative flow.

If anyone wants to join in the hop, feel free. It has been interesting reading how others write and approach the writing process.

Stop by Nancy Kopp's blog, Writer Granny’s World. Her posts are packed full of useful information for writers. It's a blog I read on a daily basis. I have never failed to learn something or be encouraged by her words.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I enjoyed reading your answers to those 4 simple questions. I, too, have written stories where the story takes me along for the ride, that I have no idea where it's heading or where it might end. Fun, isn't it?

I hope someone will take up the challenge you've given here.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Roan this is fastinating to read. I never really knew any writers and why and how they write. I had no idea you had so many books wrote. Congratulations I know the time and effort that goes with just putting blog posts out I can only imagine what it takes to get a novel put together. Thank you for sharing your process and what you are working on. I am impressed. I have joined a writing class and look forward to getting where you are someday. Hug B

A Colorful World said...

Good for you! best of luck with all your writing endeavors!

Buttons Thoughts said...

OK about the whole writing thing it appears I may need an editor who can spell☺ B

Sarah said...

One of the many things I love about blogging is finding out things about people that I never suspected. It sounds like you put a huge amount of time into your writing, I hope some day that you get to the publishing stage.

I haven't written anything other than blog posts for a while now but I have written fiction in the past mostly based on periods of my own life.