Friday, September 19, 2014
Reflections and a little Willy Nilly
Summer is fading fast so thought I would try to revive it with this reflection. We were driving down an old cow-path type of road and came upon a ford. The water was pretty high but JD stopped anyway so I could get this pic.
Linking to Weekend Reflections
On to some Willy Nilly...
1. Those of you who are and have been city dwellers all your life may only think of a ford as a car, as in Ford Mustang. But here in middle-of-nowhere, a ford is also a road that crosses a creek but has no bridge. There is usually a layer of concrete or rock which has been added so cars/trucks won't get stuck in the mud.
dictionary.com definition of ford.
noun - a place where a river or other body of water is shallow enough to be crossed.
verb - to cross (a river, stream, etc.) at a ford.
2. Speaking of fords made me think of another ford which wasn't far from where I grew up. When I was a freshman I accepted a "Would you sit by me at the movies?" kind of date. He was a nice guy, but not for me. So we remained friends and classmates throughout high school. A year or so after high school, he was taking a girl home from a date and went down a road with a ford. Sadly, it had been raining buckets and the water was very high and the current strong. The car was washed down the creek. They got out of the car and the guy tried to get to the shore by the shortest route, but he couldn't swim and the water was too strong for him. Had he taken the longer route to dry land, he could have waded out. If only...
3. On the up side, it is Friday and JD has the day off. I'm hoping for a Friday night date.
4. Sonny Boy and Handsome Lad are coming for a visit in early October! Yay!
5. Camera Club was Wednesday night. My pic tied for 1st place. Here's a little reminder of my contribution for "motion".
Linking to Nilly Friday Five