Another female red-winged blackbird yelling at me.
Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday
1. What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to actually doing?
I wanted to go visit my friends in Texas and have some good Mexican food. I'm having withdrawals and need a fix. I couldn't find time to take off work, so my trip has been postponed. I may have an opportunity in November or next spring.
2. Share a favorite memory of your own back -to-school days as a child.
It was the year of can-cans. I finally got one and proudly wore it on the first day of school. Of course about an hour into the day I secretly wanted to trash it. It dug into my skin and made sitting down more than uncomfortable, but I was stylin'!
3. What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing 'old-school' ?
It isn't something I like to do, but I still get down on my hands and knees to scrub the kitchen floor at least once a month. The rest of the time I use a mop, but it doesn't feel as clean to me.
4. Share something you've learned in life through the 'school of hard knocks'.
Never write down something you don't want everyone to read. My brother read my diary aloud to my parents. I was mortified!
5. As a child, did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school? What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox?
I mostly ate lunch at school, but occasionally mom would let me take my lunch. My favorite thing to find inside my bag was—drum roll please—a banana! I loved bananas and it was a rare occasion when us kids got to have one. They were generally reserved for my dad's lunchbox.
6. Football season is upon us which has me wondering... how big of a sports fan are you (not just football) ? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'I scream at the players through my television screen' and 1 being 'is knitting a sport?' where do you fall in fandom?
I'm somewhere in the middle so I'll say 5. I used to be a 10, but I don't watch sports as much as I used to. Now I can take it or leave it. There isn't a home team here in middle-of-nowhere Illinois, so I don't feel like I have a horse in the race. I was and am still a Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys fan. JD likes to watch Nascar, so I do watch the races with him. He hates Kyle Busch, so I always cheer for Kyle. It makes the race more fun.
7. Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year.
A person is a person no matter how small. Be buddies, not bullies.
8. Random thought.
I went to our family reunion last Sunday. Mom's side of the family. I got to meet a first cousin I didn't know I had. She was the daughter of my mom's brother. He wasn't married to her mother, so I'm assuming that's why I've never heard of her. Grandma had 14 kids and a huge number of grandchildren. None of them really look like Grandma, except this new cousin. I couldn't stop staring. It was lovely to meet her. I wish I could have known her sooner.
Linking to Wednesday Hodgepodge