Monday, March 24, 2014

Hazel Dell

On the way to and coming back from Moonshine, I passed through a tiny town called Hazel Dell. The sign says it was founded in 1866, but doesn't give a population. The main street no longer looks like it did on the sign. I like the color combination of blue and yellow. It makes it stand out, otherwise I might have missed it.
It does have an elementary school and a restaurant, but mostly it is a very small residential community. I have no idea what the population is, but I'm guessing less than 500 and probably more like 200.

The restaurant is well known for its homemade cinnamon rolls and pies. I've never actually been to the restaurant, but on one of my trips up here from Dallas before I moved back, sis-in-law served them for breakfast. I can tell you, they are melt in your mouth wonderful.
This is the only business I found on the main street. I'm thinking it might still be open during the week.  I drove through on Saturday, so maybe it isn't open on weekends. After all, there is a freshly painted sign, a 7up machine, and a trash bin which indicates life to me.
On the outskirts of town, I found this old house. Looks spooky doesn't it? To add to the eeriness, there are buzzards sitting on the roof...
...and on the chimney. Those birds always creep me out, but I can't help but take pictures every time I see one. It was a cloudy day until I drove back through Hazel Dell. The clouds slowly crept away, leaving a blue sky. Too bad it wasn't warmer. Still waiting on spring and I'm told today we will have snow again. I only like the first snow of the season. This one is way down the list of things I want to see on this day.

I hope wherever you are you have a wonderful, warm Monday!

Linking with Blue Monday.

14 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Hello Roan,

I think everyone agrees: no more snow!

This is an interesting post; the birds make me shudder too.

Thanks for sharing that beautiful blue sky. It gives us hope.

Have a Happy Blue Monday!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure you need to go eat at that restaurant. Soon. ;-)

Gerald (SK14) said...

The buzzard is indeed ominous like a vulture in wait - 200 population is a hamlet not a town.

Lina Gustina said...

Look like the houses in horror movies!

http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2014/03/spending-weekend-at-hospital.html

TexWisGirl said...

looks like a sleepy little town - i'd definitely have to hit that restaurant!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Roan

There are so many towns like this in the Colorado Mountains near me--former mining towns gone bust. They are still interesting to see and think about days past. I love the weathered wood on that first place of business. The buzzards are so big!

Happy Blue Monday!

Ann said...

Now that is a fascinating name for a town--love it. I think it would be a great spot for an eerie movie.
Ann

Anni said...

Oh, I think you found the site where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" - scaaaary!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i wish that towns (cities) would not mess up their history & those old building would still be ... where i grew up they had such historical buildings & the area was just gorgeous!! but sadly all those buildings are gone & it has no character any more. what (excuse my french??!) idiots decided to do that????!!... he /she should be shot. those historical buildings are what bring folks to your area to enjoy the character & history??! i thought that was the point of "urban" & "rural planners"? to look ahead & know what will benefit the area. right??! ( :

i love the sign. that is such a plus!!

betty-NZ said...

I love to stop at little places like this! There are quit a few scattered around New Zealand and I try to get photos of them. Love the Moonshine post, too!

Brian King said...

The welding shop is cool! Vultures are one of my favorite birds...the last photo is really nice!

Molly the Airedale said...

You always discover the neatest spots, BJ!

(◔‿◔) said...

Thats nice impressions of the tiny town. I like the old houses. They looks natural, interesting, but spooky too. hahah
You are expecting more snow??? Thats spooooky. In Berlin the sping is missing, now. We have grey sky and rain the hole day.
Thanks 4 sharing and happy Evening, Wieczora (◔‿◔)| My photoblog

Anonymous said...

It looks like a fun town to look at on your way through. I could certainly try those cinnamon rolls.