Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent and Black and White

In case there is someone who does not know what lent is, it is a solemn religious observance of many Christian denominations. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends at Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement, and self-denial, which ultimately culminates in the joyful celebration on Easter
Sunday of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I sometimes add something during Lent, such as religiously reading a scripture, but other times I give up something, such as sugar, chocolate, or ice cream. Once I gave up white foods. This included sugar, flour, salt, and potatoes. If it was white, I didn't partake. You can bet I raced out of church to indulge in baked goods and potatoes.

This year I gave up negativity. Of course, the moment I walked into work yesterday, that one was in jeopardy. However, with the help of my co-workers, I will try to stick it out.

March is also the month of the Lakeland Photography Exhibit. There are several catagories, with one theme chosen by the committee, which is different each year. This year's theme was Street Photography.  Below is my intended offering.
However, since I live in the middle of nowhere, I had to drive an hour to the city in order to buy an appropriate frame. Of course, this horrid winter prevented travel during my days off, so I wasn't able to submit a photo this year.  Hopefully, next year.

Anyone giving up something for lent?

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i gave up lent for lent years ago. :)

betty-NZ said...

What a great shot! I'm sure it would be a winner :)

Carver said...

I love this shot.

When I was growing up, we always gave something up during lent but the tradition in my family's Church was that the only day you could do what you gave up during lent was on Sunday. It always seemed funny that my Dad would give up alcohol during lent but he could drink on Sundays. I used to give up chocolate during lent. I didn't continue the giving something up during lent with my daughter. Not sure why, but your post brought back those memories.