Friday, September 5, 2014

Willy Nilly Friday Five


1. For Wednesday Hodge Podge I mentioned wearing a Can Can to my first day of school. There were those who didn't know what it was. I guess the term has gone the way of the Choo Choo Bag and White Lipstick. For those of you who are too young to remember, a Can Can looks similar to this:

Photo courtesy of Wiki Commons


Mine was all white and the netting was extremely stiff and scratchy. It was very difficult to sit for long hours. The netting would embed itself in your skin. Not comfortable at all!

2. I mentioned before our coffee maker was having trouble making coffee. It finally bit the dust. JD brought home a new Bunn, but it isn't the Bunn like I'm familiar with. This one is like a regular coffee maker in that there is no tank of hot water to start an immediate drip. This one takes 10 minutes to brew and it has an 8 cup limit. Hopefully it will last longer than our old one. I'm enjoying a cup right now.



3. I went to the family reunion last Sunday. My mom's side of the family. It was nice seeing my aunt and uncles. My grandparents had 14 children, which means I have tons of relatives. Sadly, I didn't know very many of the people there. I moved away in 1973 and back in 2005, so even the ones I knew before look so different I don't recognize them. I really need to spend more time meeting relatives.



When I saw this picture, a Sesame Street song popped into my head. One of these things is not like the other....

4. I'm singing the same old song—internet woes. I thought for sure this modem had fixed my problem until Punky Doodle called a couple of days ago. The phone is still stuttering (going dead, coming back, going dead, coming back). The internet is doing the same thing, only not quite as constant as it was before. I need to call them but due to my macrophobia, I'm putting it off. Definition: fear of long waits. Mine isn't quite a fear, more like a dread.

5. Shamless plug - Stranger on the shore is now available.  



Amazon 

Barnes and Noble


Linking to Willy Nilly Friday Five

15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

like the sesame street reference. :) i detest service calls of any kind. automated menus make me crazy. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Glad your coffee woes have been solved! I NEED coffee in the morning.

I remember wearing a cancan and they were indeed scratchy. And I'm quite certain we looked silly wearing them too. :))

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the book. I use the melitta coffee filter, one cup at a time. I dislike those service calls. I wear headphones for the phone to keep my hands free, to do other tasks while waiting on the line. Thanks for the clarification on the Can Can.

Ginny Hartzler said...

We called the can cans Crinolines! And the bigger and stiffer your dress was the better. Mine always was so lumpy!! Not as pretty as the others.

Ida said...

Your Can-Can brought back some memories. I wore them as a little girl and was always lifting up my dress to show them off much to the embarrassment of my parents.
I've never attended a Family Reunion. I have tons of relatives but I wouldn't know many of them at a reunion anyway so it's best not to think about organizing one. That was a funny photo. Wonder what everyone else was looking at.
So sorry about your computer woes. That is the pits for sure.
Gosh I didn't know you wrote books. I'll have to check it out.

Tanya Breese said...

your can can is similar to the slips my mom wore under her square dance dresses. she had so many. i used to love to dress up in them when i was little! i love family reunions! darn those internet problems! i have to check out that book! congrats!!! thank you for linking with willy nilly and have a great weekend :)

barbara l. hale said...

The things we suffer in the names of fashion and beauty! I was very happy when slips went out of vogue. I don't even own a skirt these days. Nice looking coffee machine. It's a necessity of life for me, but I'm low-tech. I have a french press. That way I can heat up the water on the grill in case of a power outage.

Hootin Anni said...

You have a book? You're an author? I did NOT realize. Wow...I know a celebrity!! Congrats Betty.

Rose said...

Barb's comment just made me think--I don't think I own a dress either! I never had a can can, but am sure I would have wanted one if the other girls had one. LOL

Way to go on the book!

A Colorful World said...

Great WNF5...Sorry for all the computer woes. I swear I will have another Rubbish Tues soon! :-) Glad you got a new coffeemaker, too. I love to start my day with a cup and see who has commented on my posts! I feel like I have made so many great blogger friends!

bj said...

Can Cans....my mama made all my clothes and back in the 50's when these slips were so popular, she made me several. Starched so stiff, mine STOOD on the floor in the corner of my bedroom. hahhaa...
what awesome memories.

Lucas Kain said...

I haven't seem a Can Can in a looong time.. using my standarts, of course. And I truly hope your coffee maker will be tougher than the last one. I'm using a kettle at home - turkish prepared coffee is the best in my taste ;)

Cheers and good luck with the Internet - it's definitely something with the cables.

--
Mr Rubbish Putney

Cranberry Morning said...

Congratulations on the book! When I was a kid, I had one of those horrid cancans that was worn only for special occasions. I remember that my friend had several. I thought she was rich. I also felt sorry for her. They were horrid scratchy things. Glad your coffee problem got solved. Morning is my favorite time of day and I'm pretty sure the coffee helps make it so. Lol

Cranberry Morning said...

We called them crinolines here too.

Jenn Jilks said...

Is that ever cool! We'll have to trade books somehow! Good for you.
No shame in plugging your book at all! WOW>